Founded in 1896.
Built for the Future.
The Lester Group is a diverse company that was founded by George Tilden Lester in 1896 in Martinsville. The Lester Group’s primary interests are in lumber products and real estate development in Virginia, West Virginia and North Carolina. Our holdings include five full service building materials stores serving the needs of professional builders, contractors, remodelers and homeowners in five major Virginia markets. The company also has a rigorous residential and commercial real estate portfolio and over 18,000 acres of timberland and a door manufacturing plant.
The Lester Group has also owned the Jim Carpenter Co. in Fredericksburg, VA since 1974. In addition to the Jim Carpenter Co., The Lester Group started Fortress Door Company in 2016 in Fredericksburg, and the company is backed by The Lester Group’s 125 years of experience within the industry.
A Values-Driven Company
- We operate with honesty, integrity and respect.
- We believe in earning a fair and reasonable profit.
- We share time, service and resources within each community we serve.
- We provide training and development to ensure the growth and success of our company.
- We offer service-driven response to our customers by exceeding expectations.
- We embrace the importance of employee ownership (ESOP) and accountability.
- Quality provided—setting the standard by which all others are measured.
- We encourage a fun and innovative workplace by recognizing and rewarding our customers and employees.
- We empower our employees to make decisions that continue to further our growth.
- We believe in Christian values guiding our decisions.
For 125 years, The Lester Group has built its legacy upon strong values, dedicated people, a passion for our community and purpose-driven work. We take pride in being rooted in Martinsville and its history, as well as building relationships with local businesses and inspiring growth. With an eye toward the future, we look forward to growing with our community for many years to come.