Verifies and keeps records on incoming and outgoing shipments and prepares items for shipment by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but not are limited to the following.
- Compares identifying information and counts, weighs, or measures items of incoming and outgoing shipments to verify information against bills of lading, invoices, orders, or other records.
- Determines method of shipment.
- Affixes shipping labels on packed cartons or stencils identifying shipping information on cartons.
- Assembles wooden or cardboard containers or selects preassembled containers.
- Inserts items into containers.
- Nails covers on wooden crates and binds containers with metal tape.
- Stamps, stencils, or glues identifying information and shipping instructions onto crates or containers.
- Posts weights and shipping charges, and affixes postage.
- Unpacks and examines incoming shipments, rejects damaged items, records shortages, and corresponds with shipper to rectify damages and shortages.
- Routes items to departments.
- Examines outgoing shipments to ensure shipments meet specifications.
- Maintains inventory of shipping materials and supplies.
- Operates tier hand lift truck or uses forklift to move, convey, or hoist shipments from shipping and receiving platform to storage or work area.
Physical/Mental Demands and Working Conditions
The employee must lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.